Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Not what I expected.

Well, the ending of Great Expectations by Mr. Dickens was not at all what I assumed the ending would be, throughout the book, you expect Pip to actually understand a little greater than what he does on who is controlling his life. Miss Havisham is a very controlling person and the odd fact is that if you do not read into her motives through the book, it comes as a great surprise to know that she is the mastermind of all the story. The fact that she had been training Estella to break hearts her entire life, yet forcing Pip to fall in love with her, is sad and you start to feel for pathetic Pip who just doesn't get it. As for the discussion in class about disappointment, my earliest memories of disappointments have been shrunk down, as I grew up, and really many of my earliest memories have been lost, since I really can't remember much before I was seven, however, I do remember one memory. My sister and I had a babysitter, and I remember being told I needed to to take a nap, while my sister got to watch, some television show I wanted to see, I honestly do't remember which one, but I through a fit and got put to sleep anyways. I remember being really upset and disappointed that I did not get to see the show. However, if I think about disappointment that is the greatest in my life today, mine would be when I expect to go out to the horses I train only to find the the owners of the horses have ruined something, not trimmed their hooves or something along those lines. As for the reading, I am still trying to finish The Arabian Nights, turns out that when I jumped to the second portion of reading, the process of being drawn into the story has become clouded by my own judgements. Well, I am off to try and finish the reading. I hope everyone is doing well.

No comments: