Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Random or not so Random

I live in two worlds. One is a world of books. I've been a resident of Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County, hunted the white whale aboard the Pequod, fought alongside Napoleon, sailed a raft with Huck and Jim, committed absurdities with Ignatius J. Reilly, rode a sad train with Anna Karenina, and strolled down Swann's Way. (Rory Gilmore, Gilmore Girls Season 3). I use this quote because it explains how one can say they have been to a place, when they haven't due to the world of books. When that sonnet was first being read all I could think of was this speech, because I as many others have been in the world of books. I have been to Narnia, and Hogwarts, I have been in the forests of scotland and in world that are so made up I don't know what is up or down. Having the feeling of having been somewhere is that feeling of knowing what is out there. As Matilda in Mister Pip discovered that England was there even though she never had seen anything off of her little island. I believe that is going to be the subject in my paper, being drawn into a world beyond your own.

Pacific Ocean (Good old Wikipedia)
The ocean was first sighted by Europeans early in the 16th century, first by the Spanish explorer Vasco Núñez de Balboa who crossed the Isthmus of Panama in 1513, and then by Ferdinand Magellan, who sailed the Pacific during his circumnavigation from 1519 to 1522.

Here is my sonnet once again:

Much as a horse in dreams you walk through night,
As the snow falls in the winter you came,
You stood out in the dark as stars are bright,
The moment your seen nothing is the same.

You’re the bright future in the shattered past,
The understanding it takes to make do,
One may never know how to make it last,
The wind will blow and the trees will fall too.

Your warm brown eyes are looking into mine,
And the world seems to stop spinning right here,
We have always waited to see a sign,
And now nothing has to add to the fear.

Now that our life’s paths have began to mix,
There is nothing in the world left to fix.

No comments: